The hardware we use to host websites is another compelling reason to trust your site to Oakhosting.NET.
The shared hosting server itself is located in the 725 South Wells Street Steadfast Networks data centre in Chicago. You can read more about the data centre on their own website. Amongst many other things, the data centre features:
- Security: Proximity Card and Biometric Access Controls, 24/7 Security Camera Monitoring/Recording, 24/7 On-Site Security Staff
- IT Staffing: 24/7 On-Site Systems Administrators
- Audits: SAS70 / SSAE16 Audited
- UPS: 2N 750 kVA Liebert UPS Units, Minimum 15 Minute Battery Capacity
- Generator: Multiple 1-2MW Caterpillar Generators, N+1
- Chillers: Building provided redundant chilled water, 8.5 million gallon storage tank
- CRAC: 26x 20 Ton Liebert Units, N+1
- Fire Suppression: VESDA Particulate Detection, Clean Agent Extinguishers, Pre-Action Dry Pipe Sprinkler
- Fiber Diversity: Dual fully diverse fiber paths, building entry points, and in-building riser
- Available Networks: Steadfast Networks, Abovenet, Verizon, Qwest, Level3, BT, CME, ICE, Sidera, T-Systems, XO, and over 100 other networks.
By locating in Chicago, we avoid European hosting space, which is usually pricier for what you get. By staying away from the East Coast and the West Coast, we maintain good response times from both Europe and Asia. For example, ping time from London to the main hosting server is just under 100ms, which is perfectly responsive for UK visitors.
(The OakHosting.NET site itself is hosted on an entirely different network, far away from customer accounts).
You are welcome to download a test file from our servers so you can experience download speed.
We monitor all of our servers. We gather a considerable data on every server ourselves, which allows us to keep an eye on most things. However internal monitoring is never enough: If there were a problem with one of our servers, it may well be that our monitoring server experienced the same issue.
Our backup server is located in Las Vegas, Nevada, on a totally separate network. It is important that backup servers are not in the same physical location as the main servers, so that the backup server protects your data if the main server should go down.
When you sign up with us, we give you 2 different name servers you can use to tell visitors where to find your site. Unlike some hosts, those 2 nameservers are on physically distinct servers in different data centres, giving true failover redundancy. Our DNS servers are in Tampa, Florida, and Atlanta, Georgia. If we need to, we can swap in an additional DNS server in Buffalo, NY.